Whittier California History
The Whittier Historical Photography Collection includes images documenting the city's history as a tourist destination in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The pictures show the life and times of the inhabitants and visitors of the area from 1867 to 1868. They also document local events such as the opening of a public library in 1869 and the construction of a primary school in 1870.
Five Points Junction, Sycamore Station is known for the native Californian Sycamore tree and is described as one of the earliest cars you can travel. Union Pacific Railroad named Bartolo Junction after its first stop in Whittier in 1868, at the intersection of San Fernando Street and San Bernardino Street.
In the 19th century, Los Nietos Valley was considered a broad area south of the Whittier Hills that included parts of Santa Gertrudes, La Habra, and San Bernardino counties. The name Orchard Dale implied that the land was a refuge for agriculture, and was therefore considered part of Whittleier's Lahabra Tract. It was also known as "Los Nietos" and was officially known as the Colima T-Tract or Rancho Santa. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, members of his family made the area their home, along with many other families from the San Fernando Valley.
Orange Grove Avenue is surrounded by the freeway and is described as "the most important road in Whittier bordering the San Fernando Valley and the Los Angeles River.
If you use the Whittier Historical Society's History of Orange Grove Avenue page on its website, you can see a map showing when the neighborhood became part of the city of Whittleier. The website behaves like a history book, complete with photos, maps and other information.
The City of Whittier's tax register is able to identify former residents of a house when it was built in 1903, when the first Whittier City Directory was published, according to the history page.
This special digitized collection is part of the California History Collection of the Whittier Public Library, which also includes a number of other collections on the history of the city of Whittier and California. This collection was compiled by the University of California, Santa Barbara's History Institute and is organized in a filing cabinet called "Vertical Files." These collections, along with the city tax registry, city records and other documents, are kept in the whitest public library in the United States, according to the history page. A copy of an article in the WHITE Daily News that looks at Whitier's history, as well as his history and place in history as a city in California.
The Whittier Public Library affects apartments and their former occupants, and the more material it probably has, the better. To explore the history of homes from 1972 to the present day, you can use the Haines Criss - Cross directory, which lists homes in the city of Los Angeles County and other parts of California and covers a wide geographic area including Uncorporated Los California County. A list of neighborhoods that are no longer part of the city of Whittleier, along with information about the history of the neighborhood and the history of the city in California.
Pio Pico built a hacienda here on the San Gabriel River, now known as the PICO State Historic Park. Whittier is home to the following sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other areas on this paper are the City of Los Angeles County, the City of L.A. and Riverside County.
The property of the shopping center was annexed to the city of Santa Fe Springs in 1957 and is now called SantaFe Springs Marketplace.
Before the annexation of this part of the city of Whittier, East La Mirada was part of a much larger community. Between 1943 and 1953, 95% of the annexed area was developed into the "City of the Whittiers," as the Los Angeles Times reported. In 1953, the city of Santa Fe Springs, with 25,000 inhabitants, had a total area of 1.5 million square feet, while East El Segundo, a city of 3,500 inhabitants, had a population of 140,000.
In 1957, there was only one park under construction, and it is in South Whittier, and that area is now the park's founder.
Historically, Whittier has been mentioned by a number of small community and neighborhood names that describe parts of the area, to name a few. The name Los Nietos describes a wide geographical area: Los Angeles, San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley.
Nonetheless, Nieto still claims 680 square miles from the San Gabriel River to what is now the Los Angeles River. In 1885, a fierce competition broke out between Southern Pacific Railroad and the Whittier Railway Company for the right of way for a new railway line, the Santa Fe Railroad, that reached as far as LA. The construction of the railway would drive the inhabitants away if their houses were on the way to new highways. By 1884, Los Nietos had reached Los Angeles, along with many other Southern California communities.